70 UNION STREET NORTH
CONCORD, NC 28025
Garden Rules and PhotographyPDF
The rapidly growing congregation acquired land on North Union Street and the cornerstone of the First Presbyterian Church was laid on June 23, 1927.
Through the birth and decline of these early buildings, the graveyard was neglected. In 1930 Mrs. Sallie Phifer Williamson started restoring the cemetery as a memorial to her mother and renamed it Memorial Garden. After her death in 1937, her son Marshal Phifer Williamson continued maintenance of the garden until his death in 1966.
The garden is a privately owned cemetery of First Presbyterian Church of Concord and continues to be maintained through a generous trust from Mr. Williamson.
The Garden has annual display beds and borders entwined through the 200-year-old cemetery. Those making their way through the garden will find multitudes of plants, gently sloping hillsides, ancient oaks, winding paths, waterfalls, butterflies, sculpted hollies, and intricately carved white Italian marble markers. Your journey will take you from the past to the present.
We welcome visitors of all ages; however please use caution when walking up steps and rock ways. We do not have handicapped accessible walkways in all areas and do not have public restrooms.
Tax –deductible donations may be made to: Memorial Garden, PO Box 1193, Concord, NC 28026-1193
36 Spring Street SW
Concord, NC 28025
Tuesday – Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Memorial Garden is also closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day
Memorial Garden, which covers approximately three acres, was purchased in 1804 by First Presbyterian Church for construction of its first sanctuary. The original building built in 1810, on the highest point of the property, was a 12 sided log structure. The second church building, erected of brick on the same site, was begun in 1835 and completed in 1837, mainly through liberal contributions of John F. Phifer. A third building was erected about a block away in 1874 on West Depot Street.